Little hands and voices
|Coordinator: Melissa Jackson, 331-228-5995||Melissa.Jackson@d303.org|
|Fabyan Elementary School, District 304|
0S350 Grengs Lane, Geneva, IL 60134
Teacher: Ms. Raven Stromek, 331-228-5537
Little Hands and Voices (LHV) is an instructional preschool program for students with mild to severe hearing impairments. The program is designed to develop communication skills of preschoolers (ages 3 through 5) with hearing impairments to age-appropriate levels. The LHV program offers a small, structured classroom and is staffed on a 1:4 ratio, generally with a teacher and a classroom assistant.
Program components of Little Hands and Voices:
- The classroom utilizes small instructional groupings that focus on the development of speech and language skills and academic readiness skills.
- Equal emphasis is placed on the acquisition of receptive and expressive language skills, speech production and listening skills.
- Most students wear amplification equipment to utilize their residual hearing and to systematically develop listening skills.
- Total Communication is employed as an instructional approach; the communication approach used by each individual child is based on student needs and family preferences. All communication modes are accommodated, including Auditory/Oral, Total Communication, and the use of speech reading.
- Auditory habilitation, speech reading, and the use of assistive technology (FM systems) also are emphasized.
- Daily schedule includes snack/lunch time, structured physical activities and opportunities for cooperative play.